Thursday, January 5, 2012

2012

The years are flying by so fast as I approach 50, will they slow down once I have my birthday this year?  I hope so, I can't keep up.  Everything is so much faster then what our parents lived through.  But I think it is also that the older we get the faster everything seems to be moving.  Sit and breathe for a while, it helps slow it all down.

This post is about cooking, surprise! 
It is about cooking at home, nightly.....
Cooking on the weekend......
Cooking for your family and friends.....

First cooking at home nightly...that is a big one for me and I would guess for you also.  How to get it done and keep your sanity.  I little planning will goes a long ways to that; also help from your family.  Kids make great souse chefs.

Tonight I am making Chicken Parm with a salad.  It will be just my girls and I tonight, but I am still going to cook.  That is not our normal...I use Kent not being their as an excuse to go out with the girls...nothing wrong with that except it creates a money spiral....first we go out to eat, Noodles & Co. is the new favorite spot.  It will run about 25.00 with a little bit of left overs, maybe.  Then Kent will grab something because there is nothing ready to eat at home....8.00.  When Ethan gets off at 8:00 PM he is hungry and will go by Sonic and eat fast food again...3.00.  Then there are no left overs for lunch the next day so Kent and the girls will eat at school for about 10.00 for all three of them.  So all that cost me about 46.00 bucks.  At Target that is a bunch of groceries.  I have to stop the money spiral. 

So dinner tonight will be cooked with enough left overs for all three of them.  I will also make two plates for Kent and Ethan so that they can eat when they get home.  I will pocket the 46.00 for a knitting project!  Not really but if I save enough money this way maybe!!!!!!


Chicken Parmesan with Pasta

2 lb of boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 cups of panko bread crumbs
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup of flour
1 cup of fresh Parmesan cheese grated
dash of salt and pepper

1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
1 lb of cooked pasta

1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese

Heat our oven up to 300 before you start and place and oven proof plate or a pizza stone.
Bring chicken up to room temp.  Heat a large skillet over high heat, add your favorite cooking oil.  My is a blend of butter and olive oil.  Let the oil heat up.
Meanwhile get three shallow dishes out. 
Dish one: Flour with the parm cheese and salt and pepper mixed up.  Dish two: beaten eggs.  Dish three: panko bread crumbs.  Dip chicken in flour, shake, dip into eggs, let drip and then lay the chicken down into the panko and press firmly.  Carefully lay the breaded chicken down into the hot oil.  Turn your heat down to medium high, you may need to adjust further.  Repeat with the remaining chicken.  I never cook more than four at a time.  When they are golden brown remove and place on your hot dish in the warmed oven.
Cook your pasta according to package and drain well.  Heat your spaghetti sauce up.  Now assembling.  On a large platter spread your hot pasta, then lay your chicken on top.  Sprinkle the cheese over the chicken and top with the hot sauce.  Serve with a salad and crusty bread!  Now that wasn't so bad was it?

No comments:

Post a Comment