Friday, January 27, 2012

Dinner...

I got home and my kitchen was a mess.  I have talked about how a dirty kitchen will cost you money.  You don't want to spend an hour cleaning, and then start cooking only to clean again.  And the time factor alone is daunting...you would like to eat before bedtime.
So I had the girls start cleaning the moment they walked in the door (it was their mess from the night before, and the simple fact that they did not do their kitchen chores after dinner).  Then I told them both that they were my sous chefs for dinner.  Clare really helps me out in the kitchen.  She bends and gets things for me so that I don't hurt as much.
I went on line and found a sweet and sour chicken recipe from www.steamykitchen.com .  I have tried several of Jaden Hair's recipes over the last year and they have all worked out great.




I started to prep all of my veggies.  I used whatever I had stashed in the fridge, colored peppers, onions, adult carrots.  Emily thawed the chicken and cut it into 2 inch pieces and she put the cornstarch, egg whites and the salt with the meat.
Clare made the sweet and sour sauce, which was very easy.  Everything was ready.  I cooked the veggies in batches and placed them in a bowl.  Browned the chicken and then added everything together and brought it up to a simmer.  The sauce needed a little bit more cornstarch to thicken it.
We had frozen egg rolls and served the dish over rice.  Kent said it was a keeper!  That was an easy meal to make and we had fun around the table.
So don't over think dinner, just do something simple.  Save the long drawn out meals for the weekend.
Tomorrow night we are having Cheddar Corn Chowder with bacon and rustic bread.  The package actually said  "rustic" bread, so I got it.  LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment