Monday, January 9, 2012

Big Sucess












I made a new soup from Relish this weekend.  I posted about it, Beefy Mushroom Barley with Kale. This is the recipe the reflects some of my changes.  It was one of the best soups I have ever had or made!

My Version
Beefy Mushroom and Barley Soup with Kale

1 lb of good ground meat (could use turkey or chicken if you liked, I don't like...)
1 lb of cremini mushrooms
2 cloves of garlic pressed or minced
1 cup of diced carrots (not baby carrots, adult carrots)
1 cup of diced onion
1 cup of diced celery
Salt and Pepper
1 box of beef broth - use the low sodium
2 cups of water
1 cup of pearl barely
1 bunch of fresh kale

In a large pot brown the meat and add all the veggies including the garlic.  Salt and pepper- a good pinch of salt and several grinds of the pepper mill.

Let this cook for about 10 minutes and stir well.  Break up the ground meat (I use my mix and chop from Pampered Chef).  Break up the mushrooms as well.

Add the broth, water, and pear barley.  Bring up to a rapid boil, then reduce the heat to low and let this bubble for about 45 minutes. 

Meanwhile cut the large ribs out of the kale and then rough chop everything.  You will have about 2-3 cups of chopped kale.

The last 5 minutes add the kale and bring up to a rapid boil.  Turn the soup off and grab large bowls!!! 
Next time I make this I will make crostini for dipping. 

This soup gets a five star rating from me.

Also this weekend we got a new to us dishwasher!!!  It is a Whirlpool Gold and works great!!!  My girls are so happy that they even loaded the dishwasher on their own yesterday!!!!
Now I can get back to cleaning out my very packed very messy closet....my new years resolution-getting rid of the clutter!!!!

Simple Soup Crostini

1 bagguette
2 cloves of garlic, sliced thinly
3 T. olive oil
Salt

Heat a skillet up with the oil.  Cut the bread at an angle for pretty pieces, or just cut strieght.  When the oil is hot add the sliced garli and stir quickly.  You do not want to burn the garlic, if you do start over.  Remove the garlic just as it turns golden.  Now place your bread in the garlic flavored oil and toast on each side.  Serve a couple floating on each bowl of soup.  Leave the extras on a plate with the location known only by you for later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment