Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Whirlwind....

This has been a whirlwind last three days.  And yesterday was such a perfect Easter Sunday!  Outside was perfect....having all my kids at home for Sunday lunch was wonderful.....both sets of parents are doing great...it was a blessed day.  Add to that the reason for Easter....well my heart was over flowing....
Then of course Monday roles around....but it has been a good day, very busy, but good.



Here at school we are making home made Mac & Cheese...the students are getting use to it, due to the fact it does not come out of a blue box....it is real pasta with real milk and real cheese.  I don't know what is in the yellow powder but it scares me a little.  Here are pictures of Mac & Cheese for 300!  That is a lot of yellow stuff.  We also balance the entire meal out with veggies, whole grain rolls fresh fruit and our bribe....chocolate brownies, but wait they really are good for you, these are whole grain brownies with fiber that taste awesome.  They are looking at me from a bakers rack screaming my name...



I have some exciting news I have been invited to do a cooking demo at the down town farmers market here in Wichita.  I submitted a recipe to Kansas Farmers Markets and was selected for their "Savor the Season" recipe cards.  From that came in invitation to demo the recipe down town.  I am very excited and just a tiny bit SCARED!  But as my mine slowly gets wrapped around this, it will be a little bit less scary.  I am very thankful to Tracy Graham and her encouragement and the right introductions!

Here is the recipe:

Warm Green Lentils and Arugula Salad
1 c dry green lentils
3 c chicken stock or water, the chicken stock will up the flavor
1 bay leaf1
1 t. kosher salt and several grinds of fresh cracked pepper

Bring to a boil and cook for about 25 minutes.  I like to leave them a bit chewy.  Drain and place into a large bowl.  Add half the dressing and stir to coat.

Dressing-Simple Red Wine Vinaigrette
1/3 c red wine vinegar (you can sue any that you have on hand)
1 shallot minced
2-3 t. Dijon mustard (to taste)
2/3 c olive oil, the good stuff

Assemble the salad:
Add about half of the dressing to the lentils while still hot.
Add 6 c of loosely packed rinsed and dried Arugula
Toss everything together, the arugula will wilt just a bit and the lentils will soak up some of the dressing because they are warm.  Add more dressing if desired.

Variations:
Grape tomatoes cut in half
Red Onion slivered and rinsed in cold water to remove some of their heat
Toasted pumpkin seeds
Fresh Shaved Parmesan Cheese
Crisp thick cut bacon


This weekend I made a great ham....it came from Bon Appetit Magazine...the article was from Canal House.  I have just recently found this sight and really have enjoyed getting to see their recipes.  Very jealous on how they live in a cool place and cook....
Pictures are from Bon Apptit.......great magazine....

No comments:

Post a Comment