Friday, May 25, 2012

Dinner Last Night...

I did not want to cook last night.  We were cleaning and I really did not want to mess up my kitchen...I knew I would be the one cleaning it, again.  But I have made a promise to myself to cook nightly and not let circumstances dictate going out to eat....I am a push over for the circumstances....

Maybe I am the only one who does this or feels this way...I doubt it, but who knows.  If I come home and the kitchen is a wreck....dirty dishes, stove has dried on food from E making something for lunch, or there is no counter space...I choose for hubby and I to go out.  I am too tired to spend an hour cleaning up everyone else mess before I can even get to the cooking part.  I hate it when nobody (does he live at your house as well?) cleans out the sink, debris from the day is left in the strain guard to harden and get down right nasty.  If anybody (another full time resident) used a knife or a spoon on the far counter, there it sits, till is a created a life long bond with the counter itself.  The thought of placing the dirty utensil in the dishwasher is a a puzzle that no one has the answer to.  And then there are the glasses....everywhere half full of something...water, blue stuff, juice from the morning.  Did I mention we have a dishwasher and it works?  Not that many in my family seem to understand.  So here it is dinner time and the kitchen looks like that Fabreeze commercial where they try to convince us, the audience that a simple puff of their stuff and you only smell flowers.  That is my kitchen at times.  So I am a wimp and I let circumstances control my life, not this month!  We are eating nightly and I am working my plan...so far so good.

So back to last night, the kitchen was not a wreck...it wasn't clean clean, but it was doable.  So here is what I did for dinner and it was a huge hit!

        

Green Chicken Enchiladas
This recipe is a nod to Mad Hungry

1 1/2 lbs of chicken breast-trimmed and cut into bite size pieces
1/2 an onion-diced
1 t. of kosher salt and several grinds of fresh cracked pepper
1-2 jalapeno-diced, seeded if you want less heat...I don't seed mine and it is perfect
1-2 T. olive oil or coconut oil
12 corn tortillas
2-3 c green salsa (I use Herdez)
2 cups of shredded cheese
1/2 of a wheel of Queso Fresco or more if you like
1 9x13 baking dish brushed with olive oil or coconut oil

In a large skillet heat oil, add the onion, chicken, and salt & pepper, cook for about 5 minutes.  Add your jalapeno towards the end, you don't want it to over cook, the whole dish will finish in the oven.

While your chicken and onions are cooking, in a small 8" skillet heat up one cup of the green salsa.  Now here is the strange part...take your corn tortilla and heat them up right on the burner.  I have gas and this works great...if you have a flat top then you will need to do this under the broiler.  Lay your corn tortillas out on a sheet pan, no over lapping.  Place your rack on the very top and slide your sheet pan in, watch them very closely, when they are starting brown and bubble and almost look like they are burning flip them over.  If you have gas or coil burners you can do it right on the burner.

Once you have all 12 corn tortillas a lovely charred around the edges look, set them aside for just a moment.  Is your chicken cooked?  Turn the heat off.  Get your cheeses out and the other cup or more of green salsa ready.  Here is the assembling....

Dip your tortilla into the skillet with the warmed salsa....
Place the tortilla in your 9x13, add about 1/4 c of the chicken mixture, add a bit of shredded cheese, roll and place in your baking dish seam side down.  Repeat till all the mixture and tortilla is gone.  If you have any extra mixture left that is okay you can spread it over the top of the enchiladas.

Break up the Queso Fresco cheese over the top of the enchiladas, and then add the rest of the green salsa. Pop into the oven at 350 for about 20-30 minutes.  When it is bubbly and starting to brown it is ready!

I serve this with a salad that goes on top:
Shredded lettuce, thinly sliced radish, tomatoes, shredded cheese and a bit more of the crumbled Queso Fresco
Everything topped with sour cream
You can also make a batch of Rice if you like.

This was a big hit last night and hubby told me it was a keeper.  It was so easy as well.  Give it a try and cook for your family tonight.








No comments:

Post a Comment